Merging multiple categorical variables on SPSS

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

jpsantos

Merging multiple categorical variables on SPSS

Postby jpsantos » Sun Aug 11, 2013 5:35 pm

Good afternoon,

I'm presently faced with an issue I was helping someone on this board could help me out with, as I've tried all options and have such the internet back and forth and cannot find the solution for what seems to be a relatively easy problem. This is kind of urgent so if anyone has any insights on this, please let me know!

I'd appreciate it if you could please have a read below and let me know how you'd do it. The problem is the following;
I have the following question: 'How much do you trust the following institutions'? The question is asked with respect to the President and his officials, Parliament, the National Electoral Commission, the ruling party, opposition parties, local government councilors, tax officials, the police and the courts of law.

Currently, this is organised as follows in the survey:'How much do you trust the President and his officials?' is one question, 'How much do you trust members of Parliament?' is another, 'How much do you trust the national Electoral Commission is another, so long and so forth. In other words, the question is separated into 8 different variables. These are categorical variables, coded 0-3, with 0 representing ‘not at all’, 1 ‘just a little’, 2 ‘somewhat’ and 3 ‘a lot’ .

I want to merge the 8 variables into one, capturing general 'institutional trust', but I want to keep the 0-3 not at all-a lot scale for this new variable, as before.

Does anyone know how this can be done?

Many thanks,
Joana