Excluding Data By Recoding into Same Variable

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

eulersconstant1

Excluding Data By Recoding into Same Variable

Postby eulersconstant1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:34 am

Hi, I have a variable that has the following values for Depression in the last 30 days:
-5 = "NOT AT ALL"
-2 = "PROXY SKIPPED"

I know I can exclude these from a cross tabs analysis by placing them in the Missing Value field. Is there a way to exclude these values by recoding them into the same variable? I know to go to Transform-> Recode into Same Variables-> Move variable over -> Click Old and New Values. I know I can point these two values to System Missing or some arbitrary number but how do I get these values excluded when I run a cross-tabs analysis? I've been told by my professor that the 'undesirable' variables can be recoded. I understand the recoding part but how do they get excluded when performing a crosstabs analysis with another variable? Any feedback would be appreciated. (I do not know how to use the command line of SPSS - only the GUI version.)

Thank you.
GerineL

Re: Excluding Data By Recoding into Same Variable

Postby GerineL » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:08 am

a way of excluding cases without recoding is by using "select cases" under data.
you can specifiy which cases should be in or excluded.
eulersconstant1

Postby eulersconstant1 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:31 pm

Thank you. I am aware of select cases but I am specifically looking into recoding the variable as a way to exclude certain responses. How do you recode the responses into the same variable so the values are not included in a crosstabs analysis? Any information would be helpful.

Thank you.
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 pm

Ok I probably misunderstand, but spss usually does missing=listwise automatically, so if you have done what you describe, i think it will automatically skip these cases.