Variable characteristics

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

whaleduck

Variable characteristics

Postby whaleduck » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:23 am

I am currently working on a datafile on second language acquisition. The person hears a word and is told to choose the picture he/she thinks corresponds to the word, there are three pictures to choose form. One obviously being the correct one, and two distractor pictures. The datafile contains variables indicating right or wrong answer on each picture task.

The thing is I want to add information about each picture task, like age of acquisition and imageability (this data is collected in a different project).

So what I imagined doing was adding a variable that contained this information to the datasett. But it seems very redundant, as it would be the same data for each case. So I am thinking there has to be a better way at going at this. Is there some way you can add this characteristic to the variable itself? Or am I going about this the wrong way?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
GerineL

Re: Variable characteristics

Postby GerineL » Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:04 pm

a variable is something that varies between cases. Usually, this is one thing that varies between cases (e.g. gender varies between people, youa re male or female).
So first, you would probably want to add several variables and not "a variable".

You can use the merge function to add this information to your datafile, if in both files you have a variable that is an indicator (ID) variable.

Then depending on the model you are running, you can indicate in spss that there are for instance repeated measures for a certain variable, and spss can "know" that each case has 1 characteristic on the "gender"variable (or other variables).