Many answers in one variable

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Eva

Many answers in one variable

Postby Eva » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:01 am

Please help; I know that it was discussed but I still don't get it.I want to know how can I combine many answers in to one variable? For example I have four questions: Do you like milk? Do you like water? etc. and I want to combine the answers under one variable " Drank preference". How do I do that?Do I have to use the syntax file? I have SPPS 11 for Mac. Is syntax file part of the application? Where do I find it?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:32 pm

Can you at least tell us how the results are entered?

Then, how are the variables defined, e.g., Yes/No

Are they all defined with the same measurement & format

Questions ...
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Eva

Postby Eva » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:02 pm

I am sorry I should have posted more info;

Here it is, I used Likert scale so 1= strongly disagree, 2= disagree 3= no opinion, 4= agree 5= strongly disagree. The same scale was used for all of the variables.

I want to check how moderating variable influence the relationship between independent and dependent variable. ( Once I manage to put all the answers as an one variable) I decided to use hierarchical multiple regression. And I have question related to that matter as well; could you please (in steps) explain me how to conduct step (block) 3 in that test?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:36 pm

Under either Custom Tables or Multiple Response in the Analysis Drop-down load in the variables and define as categories. If you search the forum, there was a similar question as this and a couple of pictures were provided.
Eva

Postby Eva » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:19 am

Hi,

Thank you for your response but I still seem to have a problem with this process. I managed to create multiple response sets but I can't use them in the regression analysis. Or at least I think that I can't.
I went to Define Multiple Response then I choose the variable that I want to have in the set, code them as a categories and so on but the moment I press "done" nothing is happening. What am I doing wrong?

I was also searching at forum and I found that Worf had the same problem as me, he wrote

"I've made a construction called "music involvement" and it's made out of 10 items (statements), of which the participants had to agree or disagree on a likert-scale of 1 (I totally agree) till 5 (I totally disagree). I get a Cronbachs Alpha of .81, which seems to be ok.

Now I'd like to do a Regression Analysis in order to find out, which factors influence music involvement? So here's my question:

- How do I condense those 10 items into a dependent variable with one value for each participant so that I can perform a regression in SPSS? The independent variables, which I’d like to use, are also made of several items each... "

He was advised as follow: "Factor Analysis is a data reduction model, perhaps it would get you there. With 10 attributes in the construct might let the FA run to see how many are created but do display the Scree as a cross-check. The factor scores could then, perhaps, become a DV indicator. Another option is via Discriminate Analysis's classification ability but you will need some baseline for that to work so you would have to set a scoring algorithm to create that baseline variable"

I am sorry but I am really confused…which test should I conduce to be able to create the one dependent variable and independent variable which I will be able to use in the regression analysis?