Editing Boxplot Categorical Labels (SPSS v13 vs v15)

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

J.L.C.

Editing Boxplot Categorical Labels (SPSS v13 vs v15)

Postby J.L.C. » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:57 pm

I recently upgraded to version 15 from version 13 of SPSS.

When I constructed a boxplot with version 13 I was able to edit the categorical labels simply by clicking them and editing as though they were text boxes. I did this for presentation reasons; for example I have data labeled as 'ya', but on the boxplot I would change that to be 'Subjects 18-32 Years'. This was possible by clicking once to highlight all categorical labels, and then a 2nd click on the label I wanted to edit would put my cursor inside the text box.

I can't seem to do this with version 15. One click highlights all of the categorical labels, but from there I can only access the axis properties window. Is there any way to re-label these categories without having to edit my data file (with a name that obeys the variable naming conventions)?

Thanks
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:07 am

I believe that if you click again you get access to the label's text box. I have V15 on my laptop so can verify this tomorrow.
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
J.L.C.

Postby J.L.C. » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:27 am

statman wrote:I believe that if you click again you get access to the label's text box. I have V15 on my laptop so can verify this tomorrow.
That's how it worked for me with v13, but it's not working with v15.

That'd be great if you could double check, maybe my system is just buggy. It would be weird for them to remove that feature :?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:40 pm

As they say "clear as mud" It just came to me: If you are trying to alter the y-axis labels then you can't but you can do scale changes in the Properties. If you are talking about the x-axis then in my V15 it can be done. From the Edit window click any x-axis label, all should highlight via a box, then again click the box of interest (specific label) and you enter it's text so can change.

OK?