merging variables in SPSS

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

penny

merging variables in SPSS

Postby penny » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:14 pm

Hello guys,

I have 6 SPSS files. I need to take 40 variables from each file and merge them, in order to have one SPSS FILE with 40 variables but a 6 fold number of cases in each one variable. (eg i have 1000 cases in the variable 'weight' in 6 files and I need to make one variable 'weight' with 6000 cases). Any idea how I can do that? I tried the spss guide but I cannot understand it very well..

Your help would be very much appreciated!!

Penny
Penguin_Knight

Re: merging variables in SPSS

Postby Penguin_Knight » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:45 pm

Check:
Data > merge file > add cases.
penny

Postby penny » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:36 pm

Thank you! I just have one more question... I made a new variable via 'compute' choice on spss, but some cases are blanked, they have '-'. How can I name the '-' as a number, e.g. -1?

Penny
Penguin_Knight

Postby Penguin_Knight » Fri Jun 08, 2012 12:47 am

penny wrote:Thank you! I just have one more question... I made a new variable via 'compute' choice on spss, but some cases are blanked, they have '-'. How can I name the '-' as a number, e.g. -1?
Penny
Can you double check if it is a "-" or a "."? If it is a numeric variable there should not be "-".
penny

Postby penny » Fri Jun 08, 2012 7:56 am

Actually it is a '.' you are right. It occurs when the variables I calculated it from are -1, which in my database means there are no data for this person. can i change it, in a way that it shows that there are no data and be able to do my analysis at the same time? Or the '.' does not affect my analysis?
Penguin_Knight

Postby Penguin_Knight » Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:13 am

penny wrote:Actually it is a '.' you are right. It occurs when the variables I calculated it from are -1, which in my database means there are no data for this person. can i change it, in a way that it shows that there are no data and be able to do my analysis at the same time? Or the '.' does not affect my analysis?
They will not get into your analysis. If you run a frequency table, those cases with the dot will be included in the system missing row.