Basic analyse problem

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Sidgun

Basic analyse problem

Postby Sidgun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:24 am

Hi all,

I am a student of Belgium and i am making my thesis right now. I made use of a survey to the the research for my thesis. I had 748 responses. But now I need to start the analysis. Here i have several problems.

I already meet up with my professor for extra questions but i am still not sure what to do so I ask my question also on this forum.

My question is this: I have 8 variables to answer a question. 4 variables go from agree completly, agree, no opinion, disagree, completly disagree. The other 4 go from more, equal, less.

I need to do analyse statistics on these variables to find a global view (just use analysetechnic FREQUENCIES I guess...) Next I also need to make an analyse for this 8 questions in relation to 3 independent variables namely gender (Men, woman), college education (law, economics, social science, chemistry) and weltness (rich/poor).

I am struggling with this because I think I need to make this analysis by using crosstabs and looking at Cramers V because this are, I think, 2 categorial variables... My Proffesor on the other hand says i need to Do an Anova Test on this.... I am very confussed and like to have your opinion.

Thanks, Sidney
pythonforspss.org

Re: Basic analyse problem

Postby pythonforspss.org » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:42 am

Dear Sidgun,

You're rightfully confused since this really is a bit of a controversy. Strictly, your variables have an ordinal measurement level in which case you should use crosstabs and chi-squared like test. But less strictly, some treat such variables as metric (interval measurement level) in which case ANOVA-like analyses (including T tests) are appropriate.

For an explanation, see http://www.spss-tutorials.com/assumptio ... intervals/.
Last edited by pythonforspss.org on Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
http://www.spss-tutorials.com
Sidgun

Re: Basic analyse problem

Postby Sidgun » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:35 pm

Hi,

Thans you for the quick answer. Since I am a spss noob :p you made a bit of my confusion dissapear.

A next question is what is the best solution that I should take crosstabs or anova. And what are the advantages or disadvantages of my choice.

It would be nice to have some opinions ;)