Creating diary style data

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

mrbrewerman

Creating diary style data

Postby mrbrewerman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:14 pm

Hi all.

I am very new to this forum so apologies if I speak out of turn or have missed a thread answering my needs already. I did try a search.

I am a data processor and not an SPSS user - the only time I use SPSS is when we need to provide clients with SPSS data files. To do this we output an sps and txt file from our DP software, open that up and run the syntax. We then use /KEEP to tidy up a bit, along with a few changes to variable text etc. i.e. VERY basic manipulation, with no analysis (I vaguely know how to run topline frequencies...)

We have a request to generate SPSS data in a specific format. I was wondering if there is some syntax in SPSS that could help or if we need to do another way (within our DP software, via csv, etc).

What we have is a basic set up of a product test, e.g.:

Demographic Qs
Product A Q1-Q10
Product B Q1-Q10
Product C Q1-Q10
Product D Q1-Q10
Final Qs

The are all stored "linearly", so when we output to SPSS we get all those questions with 1 row per respondent.

What we are after is creating SPSS data in a more diary style. That is, a product per line and demographics/final Qs in a separate file. So in the above example we would have 1 SPSS file for demographics/final Qs (1 row per respondent) and a 2nd SPSS file for the Product Q1-Q10 (4 rows per respondent, Q1-Q10 across top). Would then need to tidy up the variable text to make more generic, and maybe the variable names too.

Number of products and questions varies per project so need a fair degree of flexibility in this too! I don't know if this is really easy, an absolute nightmare or somewhere in the middle, so I thought I'd ask.

We have a few ideas outside of SPSS but I would be really grateful for any assistance for doing this within SPSS.

Many thanks
Paul
GerineL

Re: Creating diary style data

Postby GerineL » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:48 pm

Maybe there are extra packages for spss that do this for you, but as i am not familiar with those, here is what I would do:

1) save a copy of the data file holding only demographic information using copy dataset and delete variables command

2) in another copy of the file (i like copies, makes me feel safe :wink: ), use restructure to restructure your data in the way you suggested. you can just follow the steps in the menu, should be easy enough!
mrbrewerman

Re: Creating diary style data

Postby mrbrewerman » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Thanks for that - it's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, and we could generate the syntax (which I have now seen from option towards end of the Wizard) using VBA or similar, tidying text etc at the same time. I will keep playing around and talk to others.

Many thanks again
Paul