Cleaning up Dataset Compare output?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

HenriS

Cleaning up Dataset Compare output?

Postby HenriS » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:19 pm

Hi everyone,
I sometimes need to compare very large datasets with up to thousands of variables, and while I've found that Compare Datasets option in SPSS 22 (or 20 onwards AFAIR) works nicely for comparisons in general, for these big datasets there's one issue. The issue I have with it, is that it produces huge tables for the comparison, and it's still quite slow to find the changes from the long list of zeroes. Also, the case listing of changes has mostly empty columns, so finding the variables with any changes from the table is quite difficult still.

What I'm asking is: is there any way of automatically removing the zero rows or the empty columns from the output?
I've tried looking at the style output dialog, as well trying to figure out OMS, but I haven't been able to find any solution to my problem, hopefully someone here could help me.
GerineL

Re: Cleaning up Dataset Compare output?

Postby GerineL » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:53 am

you can achieve this via syntax:

use the count function to create a variable that holds a 1 if all variables are zero, then delete that case.

For the variables, you could compute the mean for a variable via aggregate, and then delete both variables if variable is empty.
HenriS

Postby HenriS » Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:01 pm

Hi,
thank you for the reply, but what I'm looking for is a way to edit the output, to automatically remove any empty columns.
Actually, this gave me an idea, if I can somehow make a dataset from the output, that might help.
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:20 am

HenriS wrote:Hi,
thank you for the reply, but what I'm looking for is a way to edit the output, to automatically remove any empty columns.
Actually, this gave me an idea, if I can somehow make a dataset from the output, that might help.
Good idea :-)