Reversing y or x axis scale in chart builder

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

caleb99

Reversing y or x axis scale in chart builder

Postby caleb99 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:32 pm

I'm trying to plot some data in a simple two axis graph and cannot seem to be able to plot the data in reverse numerical order. Eg. I have data values that need to be plotted according to a 'depth', and this is most logically displayed with descending values, starting with 0 at the top of the graph, and the greatest value at the bottom, for the origin.

Any help would be great!
Fierce

Postby Fierce » Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:48 pm

Is a scatter plot, right?
You can't order the values if you're working with scale variables. But if you change the variables to ordinal, then the sorting options will appear at the ELEMENT PROPERTIES window within the chart builder.
If for some reason that I can't imagine changing variable types shows up to be an impossible solution, you can compute a new variable that equals (-1)*<ORIGINAL VARIABLE>. The problem is that negative values will appear at the graph.
baxterbrown

reversing x or y axis

Postby baxterbrown » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:20 pm

I'm having the same problem. My variables are ordinal, but I can't reverse the order of my y-axis. I can transpose the two axes, but I want to leave the x-axis and flip the y-axis upside-down. Help would be appreciated.
Fierce

Postby Fierce » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:30 pm

Using chart builder, select the Y-axis in the ELEMENT PROPERTIES and choose DESCENDING for the DIRECTION.

Using syntax, use the following line under the GPL specifications:

Code: Select all

SCALE: cat(dim(<N>), reverse())
Replace <N> by the number of the axis you want to change (search for the lines starting with GUIDE: axis(dim... to be sure, but for codes generated using the menus, the X-axis is 1 and the Y-axis is 2).
baxterbrown

clarification

Postby baxterbrown » Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply, but I created means chart when I ran a one-way anova. It made the chart and then I tried to edit it. When I'm in chart editor view I can't access the element properties window. Is there a way to make that edit through the chart editor?
Fierce

Postby Fierce » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:32 am

Hm... I tried to do it here, but I couldn't find any option within chart editor. I don't know how to do so without chart builder/GPL and don't even know if it is possible with chart editor.