Page attributes make default SPSS 16 not saved

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

northdakota

Page attributes make default SPSS 16 not saved

Postby northdakota » Wed Oct 31, 2007 12:29 pm

I can't get the attributes I make as "default" save. In addition, I am unable to print page numbers the output looks like this "Page >". The time and date print the first time, however, these aren't saved. Subsequent output has > instead of the date or the time.
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:46 pm

I am also unable to edit the output. I upgraded from 13 to 16. In 13 I could edit the output, for example, display file information; it was possible to delete the columns about print format, missing values, etc. Now I can't do that. It is very frustrating. I am also unable to save any preferences.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:32 pm

Are you talking first about Edit>Options to set your defaults?

Edit output? What? Tables, Charts, ...

File information: Under File>Display File Information?

How are you trying to print page numbers?
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Fri Nov 02, 2007 7:14 pm

Yes edit options
Edit output from the File>Display File Information-I am talking about the table called Variable Information. I want to delete the columns on print format, column width, etc. In previous versions I was able to do this.

I am trying to set page numbers, etc in File> Page Attributes

I am afraid to admit how long I have used SPSS (but I do remember what the letters once stood for) and I have never had these kind of problems. \
Finally, how I can change the order of the "windows" in previous versions when a procedure ran, etc. the output window "jumped on top". Is there anyway to get that to occur.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:28 pm

Dropping a column: In pre V16 you could be in table edit and drag the column closed to "Hide" it, however, with V16 drag the column until it notes 0.0 in the yellow size box. Hide, per se, is gone.

Development is aware of the page number issue

Window placement: All I can say here is it relates to the Java interface. In V15 & before the output viewer, can I say, controlled the placement of the various screens (data, syntax, ...), whereas in V16 this all changed and they are "independent" so, no, can't make 1 supersede another. This is both good and bad as you continue learning V16.

HTH
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:11 pm

I don't want to hide the column, but rather delete it. Is this no longer possible?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:17 pm

To my recall, "delete" never was literally there, always Hide which completely eleminates the column from both view & print.
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:22 pm

In previous versions when you "double clicked" on an output item; you could edit the item. I was able to delete the unwanted columns or rows, or change the spelling, etc. This is no longer possible in Version 16?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:38 pm

I think I have misunderstood your question: Yes, you can delete/change cell and label contents. Double click on the table and then double click in the cell and it should be in edit mode, at least it is for me.

Are we thinking the same now?
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:11 pm

I am remiss, I appreciate your help.

Yup, we are talking about the same thing. Thus, my question why can't I delete a whole column? I am able to only delete one item a time. If I highlight a column, delete removes only one item.
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Mon Nov 05, 2007 2:49 pm

Back to the page numbers, date, and time...these are all problems of the application? The "make page attributes default", which is not working for me is an application problem?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:27 pm

The page number not showing has been reported to Development, I am getting date & time
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:55 pm

Yes, I can get date and time to print one time, however, the next time they don't print. In other words, the make page attributes default isn't "saving" to next launch of SPSS

Again thanks for all of your help
northdakota

Postby northdakota » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:08 pm

I was going to include two examples of output, however, I just noticed that neither had saved the footer information. An application problem?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:19 pm

I get all to show except the page number. Make sure you have the page set-up correct.

Can't think of anything else on my end