SPSS Tables Sig testing

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

academica

SPSS Tables Sig testing

Postby academica » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:02 pm

Hello,

I am working on SPSS 19 with SPSS tables. How does one show significant testing not only across the banner columns but also each column against the total?

Also is there a way to show the sig testing that is currently in a separate table in the main table (that is better used for market research purposes)?

Thanks!
GerineL

Re: SPSS Tables Sig testing

Postby GerineL » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:33 am

please provide more info on your variables and method used, and what your rq is.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:10 pm

academica wrote:Hello,
I am working on SPSS 19 with SPSS tables. How does one show significant testing not only across the banner columns but also each column against the total?
Thanks!
Not in the same table and then only within banner points as I recall
academica wrote:Hello,
Also is there a way to show the sig testing that is currently in a separate table in the main table (that is better used for market research purposes)?
Thanks!
In V19 will have to use an extension command called SPSSINC_MERGE_TABLES and found at the DeveloperWorks

Code: Select all

https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/mydeveloperworks/wikis/home?lang=en#/wiki/We70df3195ec8_4f95_9773_42e448fa9029/page/Downloads%20for%20IBM%C2%AE%20SPSS%C2%AE%20Statistics
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
academica

Postby academica » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:28 pm

Thanks statman for the extension command. We'll check this out.

To be more specific in case there are other comments, there are two issues:

We are using SPSS 20 which we upgraded to recently; however, I have the Custom Tabulations module as an add-on which is not showing up in SPSS20, but does still function in SPSS19 which I still have on my machine. I want to be able to run the tables module in SPSS20 – I will probably just try re-installing.

The more pressing issue relates to conducting tests of statistical significance, and indicating such differences in custom tabulations. We like how one is able to indicate sig. differences between categories of a particular variable, but what about testing a statistic shown for the total sample and the same statistic for a category of separate variable.

It would be great to be able to indicate sig. differences between say the proportion of teenagers who agree with a statement, and the total proportion of respondents who agree with the same statement. Likewise it would be great to do the same with t-testing for mean scores.

I have heard that there is a way to modify syntax to achieve this, though not sure if it’s as simple as it sounds.

We can obviously set up such analyses in SPSS, but it would be nice to have it performed and indicated within the generation of custom tables.

Any advice or information you have concerning this would be greatly appreciated

Thank you.