including missing variables in a sample set

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Itcher

including missing variables in a sample set

Postby Itcher » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi, im very new to SPSS but have a problem that has long been an issue in the company that now work.

I have spent a few days looking on various forum and websites but to no avail, perhaps I am wording my issue in correctly.

I have been practising building pivot tables and extracting strats from a master data table. I am ok with this.

The second part is to then take a sample of data. For example, say the original data table has 100,000 rows of data (all unique to one customer, ie. There is 100,000 customers on file), we would like to sample 1000 of these.

Again, getting the sample is ok, but this is where I am faced with a rather pedantic problem.

My bosses like to have the sample table/s next to the overall tables so that we can compare, quickly at a glance. For example, for arguments sake let’s say we are looking at the type of property the people in the region live in.

In the full data table, we can see the following types of building:

House
Flat
Maisonette
Caravan
Shed
Hut

But in the sample we only see:

House
Flat
Hut

How can I force the output to include a zero count for Shed and Caravan? Is there anyway? It would save a lot of manual adjustments at the end of the reporting process.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Itcher.
Itcher

Re: including missing variables in a sample set

Postby Itcher » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:54 am

bump.

even if someone knows this cant be done, im getting a little desperate for any info or advice. :(
statman
Administrator

Re: including missing variables in a sample set

Postby statman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:04 pm

In Custom Tables make sure all variables are shown then also make sure Missing is checked

Does this do it?
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services