Line graph x-axis issue

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

curren3

Line graph x-axis issue

Postby curren3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Hello,

I am having an issue with creating a multiple line graph where the x-axis contains all possible values, even if a particular condition doesn't contain any instances of that value. I have a variable, 'response', with values 1-5. there is also 'var1' (2 values) and 'var2' (2 values). The 2 lines represent 'condition' (1 or 2).

Here is the syntax:

Code: Select all

SORT CASES  BY var1.
SPLIT FILE SEPARATE BY var1.
GRAPH
  /Line(MULTIPLE)=PCT BY response BY condition
  /PANEL ROWVAR=var2 ROWOP=CROSS.
The issue is when for a given combination of var1 & var2, the subject never chose, for example, response 1. Then, the line just stops or isn't drawn at all if all responses where the same. I have attached a picture of what I mean below.

Is there a way to include a value (point) for all response choices (x-axis), even if that is 0% (y-axis)?

Any help would be great!

Thanks,

Curren
graph_forum.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statman
Administrator

Re: Line graph x-axis issue

Postby statman » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:51 pm

My initial thought is directed to the SPLIT file function, might be causing this but to help further, please see the Note below
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
curren3

Re: Line graph x-axis issue

Postby curren3 » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 pm

Sorry about that : )

I tried the search function but was having a hard time coming up with terms to describe the problem- but if there is something out there I missed, a link would be great.

I am using SPSS 20 on a windows 7 PC.

The experiment involves subjects performing multiplication or division math problems that are either symbolic (with numbers) or nonsymbolic (with dots) where they choose from 5 possible answers. Each math problem has 7 possible answers (ex: 2 x 3 = 3 4 5 6 7 8 9) (with the 4th one, in the case 6, being the correct) but only 5 are presented in each trial. Low means the first 5 choices are presented (6 x 3 = 3 4 5 6 7) and therefore the 4th one, 6, is correct. High means the last 5 choices were presented ( 6 x 3 = 5 6 7 8 9) and therefore the 2nd one, 6, is correct.

Types of variables:
var1 'Notation'- nominal, values are 1 'Symbolic' or 2 'Nonsymbolic'
var2 'Operation'- nominal, values are 1 'Multiplication' or 2 'Division'
condition- nominal, 1 'High' or 2 'Low' (range of answer choices presented)
Response- ordinal, 1,2,3,4 or 5

So the data is organized something like this:

subject problem var1 var2 condition response

1 6x3 1 1 1 4
1 5x10 2 1 2 1
1 10/2 1 2 1 3

For nonsymbolic (var1=2), the graphs look fine because there are a range of responses (ie subjects get some wrong), but with the symbolic (var1=1), in some cases they are all correct so there might only be 1 point on the graph...I would like to have points at the rest of the responses, but just show 0%.

I used the legacy dialog, but have also tried the chart builder and had similar issues.

If I didn't use the split file, is there a way to represent these 4 groups without creating a new variable (although I could do that fairly easily)?

I am not so familiar with using SPSS for graphs- I usually just use excel, but would like to move away from that and do everything in SPSS, so perhaps I am not using the correct procedure.