creating a random sample using percent parameters

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

bschuster

creating a random sample using percent parameters

Postby bschuster » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:47 pm

Hello,
I am trying to create a subset of my data by drawing a random sample using specific parameters.
Basiclly, I have 5418 cases and I need a random sample of 500 cases. However these cases need to be selected using certain percentage parameters.
I need Gender to be 50% male and femele, race to be 90% Latino, age to be 95% under 21.
If you can provide any help creating syntax that would generate a random sample using percentages of variables and levels within variables it would be a big help.

Thanks,
Brad
statman
Administrator

Re: creating a random sample using percent parameters

Postby statman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:30 pm

That should be available in the Select Option or with syntax or macro but

See the Note below
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
bschuster

Re: creating a random sample using percent parameters

Postby bschuster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:47 pm

Sorry for being incomplete in my question. I am using windows 7 and SPSS version 19. The goal for this portion of my project is to create a representative control group sample based on the charactoristics of my experimental group. I have 5418 cases and I need a random sample of 500 cases that contains 50% male and 50% female (Gender), 90% Latinos (RaceCategory), 95% under 21 (Age Category), 70% AA/AS degree (EdGoalCategories), 90% First time freshmen (Enr_Status), and 50% full time, 50% part time (UnitsStatus).
I have attached the date file I am working with. Would you be able to help me develop syntax?

Thanks,
Brad
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.