Assigning most probable solution

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

fevziesen

Assigning most probable solution

Postby fevziesen » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:59 am

Hi all,

Now I am searching solutions for a problem. I have two datasets and want to create a new variables in dataset 2 by matching variables. But some of the variables are missing or wrong filled like presented in the picture. I want to find most probable match for my variable and assign the circled value to dataset 2.

For instance in the picture, dataset 1 gives some variables define ''Apple''. In dataset 2, we have same variables but they are mistakenly wrong filled.(missing letters, wrong numbers etc.) Here, in data set 2, there is a new created variable last column. I want to assign the persons of dataset 1 into my new variable.

It will be like ''assign the most probable person to dataset 2 by matching variables code, name, issue code...

please see the picture for an example of the problem :

GerineL

Re: Assigning most probable solution

Postby GerineL » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:51 pm

I am not sure whether spss is the most suitable program to do this, at least not with the base pack (and I don't know enough about possbile add-ons).
The only thing I could think of would be to write out all possible "mistakes", and try to match on each of these.
It seems like you are looking for a more automated thing, I don't think that is possible within spss.