Merge response output from a multiple response question

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

JosephGroll

Merge response output from a multiple response question

Postby JosephGroll » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:56 pm

Hi everyone!

I am new to SPSS and do not fully understand syntax coding yet. I have tried to build a syntax from scratch addressing this question below, but I have so far failed.

I have a multiple response question from a survey that looks like this.

Question:
Have you ever X?

Answer alternatives:
A, B, C, D,
Multiple responses are possible (i.e. one can tick e.g. both response A and C, if both apply to the respondent in question).

When I run the question through SPSS to produce a table it comes out with a table for each response alternative, so the output looks like this:

---
Have you ever X?
Alternative A:
Not selected: 96%
Selected: 4%
---
Have you ever X?
Alternative B:
Not selected: 81%
Selected: 19%
---
Have you ever X?
Alternative C:
Not selected: 92%
Selected: 8%
---
Have you ever X?
Alternative D:
Not selected: 65%
Selected: 35%
---

Thus, SPSS treats every anser alternative as a question in and of itself. I would like to make sure that it, instead, produces all answer alternatives with their respective percentages in one single table. I know you are able to do this using syntax coding, but I have forgotten how.

So, I want the output table to look like this:

---
Have you ever X?
A: 4%
B: 19%
C: 8%
D: 35%
---

This because I later want to make a graph from the output table, in excel, and want to show all the answers next to each other in one single graph and not have to produce a graph for every single answer alternative, as is the case now with a separate output table for every single alternative.

I hope you guys can help me, either by providing a syntax template or a link to some information or learning material that I can purview and learn how to write such a syntax.
statman
Administrator

Re: Merge response output from a multiple response question

Postby statman » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:28 pm

If you are simply trying to produce a MR table then you need to create a MR variable, thus if the case, 2 options - CTables>Multiple Response or further down the Analysis list is Multiple Response so ................
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services