Not getting the correct results from t-test

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Vampirebat666

Not getting the correct results from t-test

Postby Vampirebat666 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:11 pm

Hi,

I'm typing my data into the spread sheet, telling it what variables I want etc. but when I come to run a t-test I keep getting .000 under the Sig. (2-tailed) column. Does anyone know why this is happening because it's doing it no matter what data I type in. A friend from university is having the same problem as well. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks ^_^
statman
Administrator

Re: Not getting the correct results from t-test

Postby statman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:36 pm

See the Note below
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Vampirebat666

Postby Vampirebat666 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:06 pm

My operating system is windows 7, I'm using SPSS version 22 and the data I'm trying to analyse is times of a race. I have the results of a Triathlon from earlier this year. I want to compare the Men's 30-34 Standard Distance overall times with that of the Female 30-34 Standard Distance overall race times. I have used the top 20 from each race so I have the same number of people in each category.

To do this I went into variable view and in the first row under name have entered 'Gender' which I have specified is a numerical type. I gave the value of 1 for the males and 2 for the females. I then went back into data view and in the first column typed in 1 twenty times followed by 2 twenty times. I then went back into variable view and in the 2nd row entered 'Time' which I have specified as a date type, specifically hh:mm:ss as this is the format the information was recorded in. I then switched back to data view and entered the times in the second column. Both data are set to nominal measures.

I tried then running an independent t-test. I entered 'Time' as the test variable and 'Gender' as the grouping variable and specified that males = 1 and women = 2 in the define groups option. I press ok and it runs the test and it is giving me nukbers for everything but the Sig. (2-tailed) box which is appearing as .000
apeape

Postby apeape » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:03 pm

First of all, time is not nominal. It won't affect your output in this instance, but time is the very definition of a scale variable.

Secondly, a significance statistic of .000 is a truncated value and means that the actual p value is less than .000, thus, highly significant.