Please Help

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

tjlav

Please Help

Postby tjlav » Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:53 pm

Hello
I am a dissertation student who is really struggling with understanding SPSS and if anybody could help, you would be saving my life!
Basically my study is to consider the differences between losing and winning teams in the six nations over 5 years. I have completed my data collection, however I am stuck as to what to do within SPSS. I have been told to use the Wilcoxon and the Mann Whitney u tests, but i am getting confused with everything. I have 16 variables which I am measuring across 6 different teams. I really dont know what to to do next, i have though about grouping these variables into sub groups of set pieces, kicking, attacking and in play but have no clue how to do this.
Any help would be amazing
thanks
:?
GerineL

Re: Please Help

Postby GerineL » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:27 am

your question is a bit too broad to answer.
basically, you can answer different questions in different ways. What test to use etc. also depends on what your variables look like (e.g., nominal, scale, etc). First you have to establish what question you want to answer exactly, then how you are going to operationalize this (e.g., what variables you will use and in what way), then you pick a test and perform it.
The theoretical part (i.e., establishing question, operationalizing) is probably something you are better of discussing with your supervisor, as this requires knowledge of the field.

Good luck!