Opening .dat files that is one continuos column of data

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

flewish

Opening .dat files that is one continuos column of data

Postby flewish » Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:59 pm

Hello there,

I'm a psych MSc student doing research on personality traits and anxiety disorders. I have an online questionnaire ( http://www.measureyourpersonality.com/q/welcome.php quote study code 66432491) and I have just received the data from the programmer.

This is a .dat file and all of the data is in one continuos column (ie. so first 60 lines on the one column is the 1st person, 61-120 = 2nd person and so on). So when I open it, it looks like this at the first step. Im very confused by it all. Can someone help me collapse it all into the appropriate format?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statman
Administrator

Re: Opening .dat files that is one continuos column of data

Postby statman » Sat Jan 16, 2016 1:03 pm

Is the file delimited or follows a format that you can specify - The programmer should know this or at least can add in commas between variables

Check these then ....................
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
flewish

Postby flewish » Sun Jan 17, 2016 5:58 pm

I don't know and I am not getting any further guidance from my supervisor - he insists its simple and he is not giving any further guidance. Im assuming its delimited?
could anyone give guidance of it of either way?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sun Jan 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Can you reply and attach the output file
flewish

Postby flewish » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:13 pm

it wont let me attach this file for some reason - its faded out. my email address is featureless.email@gmail.com , drop me a line then ill send the file that way?
flewish

Postby flewish » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:27 pm

Ah, figured it out. sorry for being soo confusing. got a seperate issue now. but you can probably delete this thread as ive been stupid
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:35 pm

maybe post your solution for others who might encounter this problem!
flewish

Postby flewish » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:50 pm

It is delimited but only giving three variables with all the data in one column. Basically the mix of numbers and letters at the start is V1 - this is the encrypted participant ID, V2 - question number, V3 - question score/response. So the first 57 lines equal one person, then next 57= particpant 2, and so on. The problem was/is the data layout. (see image below)

I need to restructure my data so that V1 (ID) is collapsed so its one line, then V2 (Question) is extended across the variables such that the variables read - V1 (ID), V2 (question 1), V3 (question 2), V4 (question 3)... and so on. with the scores aligned under the respective question.

Next question is- How do i do that? Sorry for being an imbecile
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.