SPSS Reporting more cases than there actually is

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

papmtc

SPSS Reporting more cases than there actually is

Postby papmtc » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi,

I've been having some trouble trying to figure out why SPSS believes there to be more cases than I actually have in my data set. I definitely have only 120,115 cases in the dataset, as stated in the data user guide, the case numbers and the serial numbers. Image

However, whenever I run any frequencies or test, SPSS always reports that there are 564470 cases. I have tried selecting cases 1 through 120115 however, I continue to get 564470 cases in the tests. The only thing that has seemed to work in limiting the number of cases is taking random sample percentage. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated!

statman
Administrator

Re: SPSS Reporting more cases than there actually is

Postby statman » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:25 pm

Even though your graphic doesn't suggest this, highlight some of the cases BELOW the visible last one (10-20 or so) and delete them then rerun FREQ, does anything change?

Also run another count procedure like Examine the see if get the same over count

Further .....................
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
JonPedersen

Postby JonPedersen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:30 pm

Hi,
According to the screenshot, the weights are on. So Weights probably add up to your large number.
hth
Jon
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Good spot Jon :!: