Clustered Data in SPSS

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

wikjay

Clustered Data in SPSS

Postby wikjay » Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Hi, I'm very new to SPSS and stats so any help would be appreciated.

I am looking at the impact of deprivation on healthcare costs, so the dependent variable is cost, and the main independent variable is deprivation score.

I have cost data for 300,000 individuals, and because it is highly non-normal, I am using a generalized linear model for the regression.
The deprivation score for each of these individuals is based on the neighbourhood they live in. Each of the 900 neighbourhoods has a different deprivation score.

I want to perform regression (using individuals as the unit of analysis) that accounts for the fact that individuals from the same neighbourhood may have more similar costs. I have been shown in STATA how to add a cluster command: e.g. cluster(neighbourhood) to give robust standard errors that account for clustering based on another variable, in this case, neighbourhood.

Is there a way to do this in SPSS? or an alternative way of accounting for clustering?
statman
Administrator

Re: Clustered Data in SPSS

Postby statman » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:55 pm

Unclear - You are using "clustering" and "regression" so exactly what are you looking for, e.g., the relationship between the 2 variables? Or what?

Also .................................
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services