How can I split the mean (e.g. split the mean by gender and by age group) in SPSS?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

A+inStats

How can I split the mean (e.g. split the mean by gender and by age group) in SPSS?

Postby A+inStats » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:59 pm

I am completely new to SPSS and I have to split the mean by one variable or even by two variables ("produce a single table showing the mean of the symptom severity checklist score before and after treatment, split by anxiety disorder and by patient gender")
This is just the example I have been given, but it could of course be anything where i need to split the mean by two variables and have only a single table.
I couldn't really find anything about splitting the mean by one (or, even worse, by two variables) in my book or the internet, and I tried it but got two tables. Does anyone know how to do it in SPSS?

Thank you
openminded87

Re: How can I split the mean (e.g. split the mean by gender and by age group) in SPSS?

Postby openminded87 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm

under data>select cases> if condition satisified and click the variable you want to sort by, and put "gender = 1" (code gender as 1 = M 2 = F first), do your stats, then repeat with gender = 2 and stats.

you should be able to do similar for your anxiety score, like if theres a threshold for present/notpresent

screenshot:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.