What measure to use for inputting years as a variable

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

graceelizabeth

What measure to use for inputting years as a variable

Postby graceelizabeth » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi all,

I'm using my database for cataloguing prosecution records and want to include the year of charge as a variable. I'm currently transferring my data from Excel and can't decide what measure (or even format) to use!

Ideally, I'm hoping to present the findings in periods rather than independent years (for example: 1950-59; 1960-69; 1970-79 etc.). Should I do this by using the scale measure and using values to represent different periods (1=1950-59 etc.)? Or should I use the format of 'date' for the variable and enter the each year individually rather than as a set? (Saying that, SPSS doesn't seem to allow for just the year in the date format but needs month etc., and I'm not interested in the day or month for this study).

Many thanks for any advice!

Grace
statman
Administrator

Re: What measure to use for inputting years as a variable

Postby statman » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Depending on SPSS Version (please see the note below!) can enter as String if need specific year and then categorize it via Recode later into single year or range codes
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services