Combining a list of cases with a broader database

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Combining a list of cases with a broader database

Postby seemyjeans » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:12 am

I have a potentially amateur question, but I've used SPSS a great deal in a short amount of time and I feel like I missed out on some of the basics:

I'm working on the preliminary steps of a project in which I have to create a database of the data from particular agencies, out of a broader set of all agencies. I have a unique identifier for each agency, and I can use that to find all of the cases relevant to that agency. For example, AK00101 is a code identifying Anchorage, Alaska. This code appears in a list that I have of cities needed, and also appears in a broader list of all data from all cities.

So far, to retrieve the data that I need I have been searching through the (huge) full database for each code on my list, copying each case tied to that code, and pasting it into a new database. This has, of course, been taking a long time. This could very well be the simple tedium that comes with preparing a database, but I'm also wondering if there might be a faster way to accomplish this task, using a merge or a match/add command?

Thanks in advance for any tips you might have!

Re: Combining a list of cases with a broader database

Postby GerineL » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Yes, there is a merge function, there is lots of manuals and tutorials on the internet, for instance here: