Retrieving syntax

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

student74

Retrieving syntax

Postby student74 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:56 am

Hi all,

I am brand new to the forum and I have a question that I can't find an answer for.

I have taken over a project that somebody else had started. There is a cleaned file with approximately 100 cases in it that the other person completed before leaving. There are another hundred odd cases to be added to the file (the whole thing has been downloaded from Qualtrics as an SPSS file). The previously completed file is nicely set up in SPSS with recoded variables and computed subscale scores etc. From what I can gather from the forums, I can't just add the new cases as the recoded and computed variables that were created won't automatically recode and compute for the added cases. I understand that what I need to do is rerun the syntax, but (you can probably see where this is going), there was no syntax saved.

I am assuming the original recoding etc was done using the menu functions and not syntax. Is there any way to retrieve the syntax for the recomputed variables? I am guessing the answer is probably no and I will just have to start from scratch with the whole data set, but it would be fabulous if there was a way. Any help would be appreciated. Apologies if I am not making sense here.

Thanks in advance.
GerineL

Re: Retrieving syntax

Postby GerineL » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00 am

Someone recently asked that question:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12946
student74

Postby student74 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:12 am

Thank you. I will be pasting syntax from here on in!
RubenGeert

Postby RubenGeert » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:45 am

Retrieving syntax from the journal file is probably your best option for now. However, some solid reasons to avoid the journal file whenever you can are pointed out in http://www.spss-tutorials.com/five-reas ... rnal-file/.

As explained in this tutorial, not all syntax that should have been saved may be present in the journal file. This holds especially for dictionary modifications (adding value labels, changing variable names and so on) that were done manually under variable view.