Vignette data in SPSS

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

emmelync

Vignette data in SPSS

Postby emmelync » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi,

I am a PHD student and just finished data collection for my third study, which was a vignette study. I designed an online questionnaire with 30 different scenario's, or vignettes, followed by a block of 7 questions (the same questions after each vignette). Each participant was randomly exposed to 5 vignettes, out of the total of 30. The vignettes are composed of two variables: a topic (ranging from low to high in intimacy, 5 topics) and social tie (ranging from weak-strong, 6 ties). Thus, each vignette/scenario was composed of those two variables: 5 x 6 = 30 scenario's total. Now, I have no idea how to organize this data in SPSS. I just downloaded the data file from Qualtrics which is, obviously, largely empty because everyone participant only saw 5 scenario's. Hence there is a lot of 'missing data'. I'm assuming i have to somehow arrange the scenario's in a column, so the scenario then becomes the unit of analysis as opposed to the participant (this is what I'm used to). Any ideas on how to organize this data? I hope I have provided enough info! Thanks in advance!
GerineL

Re: Vignette data in SPSS

Postby GerineL » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:26 am

how you should organize your file depends on how you want to analyze your data. Do you have any ideas about that yet?

I can imagine that you will have 5 lines for each participant, as variables you have your 7 questions + 2 variables that indicate what social tie / topic the specific vignette had.
emmelync

Postby emmelync » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:02 pm

I am not sure about data analysis yet. My first step was getting the data organized in SPSS... I am not sure how to do that yet. I am thinking I should add two variables, since each scenario/vignette consists of two variables. So two columns in SPSS, followed by the dependent variables and the (collapsed) answers the respondents gave. Not sure if this is the right way to go though.
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:26 pm

well different analyses demand different organizations of the data, so it is quite relevant how you will organize the data.
However, you can restructure data in spss so you can just go ahead with one form, and change it later if needed.

as indicated, i would go for the following variables:

ID, vignette (1 out of 30), question 1 .... question 7

you can later add info about the specific vignettes, calculate mean for the questions etc.
emmelync

Postby emmelync » Tue Jul 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Thanks a lot!