how best to put data in spss

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

sarsyc07

how best to put data in spss

Postby sarsyc07 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi!
any advice would be much appreciated, I have two groups each of which are participating in a different sport. I will be comparing different things between the two groups such as where they recieve advice from regarding nutrition ect. I am totally lost.

At present I have every single variable in seperate for every group and question, for example for one sport, say football, I have age groups in football as a variable and then I assigned values under this heading for each age cat. such as 18-25 yrs old and so on. I did the same for the second sport, say basketball which is listed as another seperate variable.

for the nutrition sources question I have each source as a seperate variable with the sport after it, this leaves me with ten seperate variable headings for each sport (ie football coach, books, internet ect all as seperate headings) then I did the same for basketball, say basketball coach ect, again all seperate headings for basketball.

Is this the right way to layout the data in SPSS? I am not sure if for example each heading questioning the source of information should be put in with values of say 1 football, 2 basketball and only have ten headings instead of twenty in total with just 1 for yes and 2 for no values.

Sorry if this is very poorly explained, I hope someone might have advice!
Thank you!
GerineL

Re: how best to put data in spss

Postby GerineL » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:48 am

The best way to go is probably to use 1 line per subject in your data (assuming that each person has 1 sport), have a variable to indicate the sport (e.g. 1 = football 2 = basketball 3 = hockey etc), and then have each of your variables. So indeed, you only have each of the headings once.
If you have already entered all your data, you can use the restructure option in spss to create this dataset.