input help for questionnaire

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

cabler

input help for questionnaire

Postby cabler » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:24 pm

hi guys, hope you can help!

I have to convert questionnaire responses into SPSS, and a few of the questions have possible responses and also others, where the respondant can write in their own answer.
Would I have to do this as a string one, and not be able to assign labels to them?

I am a novice so I hope I have explained my question well enough to you guys!
GerineL

Re: input help for questionnaire

Postby GerineL » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:21 am

It is common to make 2 variables for this, suppose you have answers 1,2,3,4,5 and 6(other), you would enter this number in the first variable, and if 6 (other) is chosen, you create a string variable with the exact answer for that one.

What you do with it next is up to you, some people analyze the "other" category as one category, others break it up / recode it into new general categories etc.
it all depends on your research question etc, not a statistical question but a theoretical one.
cabler

Postby cabler » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:35 am

GerineL wrote:It is common to make 2 variables for this, suppose you have answers 1,2,3,4,5 and 6(other), you would enter this number in the first variable, and if 6 (other) is chosen, you create a string variable with the exact answer for that one.

What you do with it next is up to you, some people analyze the "other" category as one category, others break it up / recode it into new general categories etc.
it all depends on your research question etc, not a statistical question but a theoretical one.
Ah ok, I think i understand what you're saying, but how do I make a string variable for an already existing variable? Or would I just have to make a whole new entry?
GerineL

Postby GerineL » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:54 am

It would be 2 variables. So 1 with the numbers, 1 with the string.