Multiple variable input

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

mh786

Multiple variable input

Postby mh786 » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Hi.
I've done an experiment measuring glutamate uptake for 3 cell types (X,Y,Z) under 3 different experimental treatments. I want to compare the cells in terms of their uptake but also between the different treatments. I'm not sure how to input or test this.
Thanks in advance.
GerineL

Re: Multiple variable input

Postby GerineL » Tue May 10, 2016 9:08 am

without knowing what type of measures you have (e.g., are they on a scale level, binary or....) it is impossible to answer this question.
elrigg

Postby elrigg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:02 am

I have imported my data from a qualtrics survey and have some questions responses that are text responses. I am trying to clean up my data and have two questions. I have a response where participants provided text responses to clarify a previous response about education attainment. They have listed a number of variables eg Diploma of Midwifery, Diploma of Education
etc Can I clean this up and convert to a numerical variable - I presume yes, and this will be easy if each participant only lists one form of education. What or how do I handle it if one participant has listed several types of education ? Can nursing, midwifery, child health, educaion etc can I in the variable view, give each course of education a numerical number and then have more than one numerical value? If yes, do I enter these with a comma between them eg
1=Nurse
2=Midwife
3=Child health
4=education

and then for a single participant had all of these qualifications enter them for that single participant as 1,2,3,4, ??
OR
Is there another way to deal with this?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:02 pm

If you are talking about recoding text into categories then can but need more info, so .....................
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
elrigg

Postby elrigg » Wed Jun 15, 2016 10:20 am

Hi,
Thanks for responding. Yes, I am talking about recoding a text respons so I can calculate how many time a particular item was mentioned and or simply so I can list these. I know I can do this but the question I have related to ... what if a respondent lists a number of items and I have now coded these items see above for example. Can I record more than one number in the column for example: 1,2,3, which would suggest that this participant listed 3 values.. I have tried this and I am not sure it records all three. ? just the first one. This being the case, how does one manage this if you want the text response quantified?
Genasn

Multiple variable input

Postby Genasn » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you. How do I know which brokers data are from which sessions London, New York, etc.? Thanks