How to perform ANOVA with two groups

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

blaness

How to perform ANOVA with two groups

Postby blaness » Sun May 08, 2016 8:56 pm

Dear Stats Gurus,

I hope you can help me with my problem. I'm about to develop an old empirical work of mine, but I don't quite know how.

In this work, I examined the effects of viewing a pro anorexia website in terms of changes in self esteem and mood (so these two were examined before and after viewing). A control group viewed a simple fashion blog and had the same measurements before and after. I run paired samples t tests and so I got the results I had hoped for. However, my professor told me that my stats could have been better or more professional by using ANOVA---she just never told me how to do that in this very case. I've been trying for quite some time now to run a proper ANOVA, but SPSS keeps telling me that post hoc's cannot be performed because there are less than three groups. So my question is what kind of ANOVA I should do in my case, and ultimately--how to do that in case of only two groups?

Thanks in advance for your tips!
GerineL

Re: How to perform ANOVA with two groups

Postby GerineL » Tue May 10, 2016 9:13 am

If you run a repeated measures, I don't think you need a posthoc comparison:
You get a value for time (pre vs post measure overall), for group (anorexia vs fashion) and for time by group.