How to combine several yearly datasets into one dataset (+ adding a time variable for time series analysis)

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Kaas-

How to combine several yearly datasets into one dataset (+ adding a time variable for time series analysis)

Postby Kaas- » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:01 am

Dear all,

I have a practical question about SPSS that is really important to me. I want to combine several datasets into one dataset and I am wondering if someone can advise me on how to do that.

Description of my data:
[*] I have 30 datasets/datafiles (every one of them is a similar dataset for the years 1981, 1982, ... , 2010).
[*] In every dataset there are about 1000 entries. It is a yearly survey on 1000 people (different people every year) and you have variables such as age, gender, education etc. etc.

Description of what I want to do with the datasets:
[*] In every dataset there are about 100 variables, but I want to use only 6 of them.
[*] I want to create 1 single large dataset in which for all the 30 years, from all 30 datasets, all entries come together in 1 dataset for the specific variables that I want to use.
[*] Because I want to do time series analysis, it is necessary that in the new dataset all entries per yearly dataset get an extra variable: the year (1981, 1982, ... , 2010). The variable 'year' is not listed in the 30 individual datasets (it is onlye in the title of every individual dataset).

Example to clarify what I want to do:
[*] I now have 30 datasets in which every time 1000 people are asked about their age, gender, education etc. I want to combine all these datasets into 1 dataset in which I have all the (ca. 30.000) entries for all the variables that I need, including the variable 'year' (that is not in any individual dataset yet). I want to create this dataset with the goal to examine if I can find a trend in these 30 years in the relation between a couple of these variables.

Thank you for helping me out. All advice is very welcome (I am a bit in hurry with carrying out this research but I am stuck with my data). If my post here is not clear, then please ask me more and I will answer it asap. :)
Sgolenbro

Re: How to combine several yearly datasets into one dataset (+ adding a time variable for time series analysis)

Postby Sgolenbro » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:44 pm

1. Add in a variable (i.e. new column) in each of your data sets for the year (do it manually or w/ the COMPUTE command) - call it "YEAR" and label it 1 = 1980, 2 = 1981, etc. etc., or whatever.

2. Go to "Data" --> "Merge Files" --> "Add Cases" --> [Choose file] --> Choose the new variables you want in the new data set (e.g. whatever those 6 are). Just move them into the box to the right and paste the syntax/run it from there. Should be good to go.

Make sure those 6 variables have the same variable name in each of their respective individual files before doing that also.
Kaas-

Re: How to combine several yearly datasets into one dataset (+ adding a time variable for time series analysis)

Postby Kaas- » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:57 pm

Sgolenbro wrote:1. Add in a variable (i.e. new column) in each of your data sets for the year (do it manually or w/ the COMPUTE command) - call it "YEAR" and label it 1 = 1980, 2 = 1981, etc. etc., or whatever.

2. Go to "Data" --> "Merge Files" --> "Add Cases" --> [Choose file] --> Choose the new variables you want in the new data set (e.g. whatever those 6 are). Just move them into the box to the right and paste the syntax/run it from there. Should be good to go.

Make sure those 6 variables have the same variable name in each of their respective individual files before doing that also.
Thank you for your reply Sgolenbro, it works!