Recoding issue

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

danolado

Recoding issue

Postby danolado » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I would very much appreciate your help.

I have spent some time entering data into SPSS but I am unable to recode into a different variable. Some of the options I would expect to see are greyed out. I have tried copying and pasting the same data into a new file but the same issue recurs. I have tried opening it in a different version of SPSS on a different computer and again it recurs. Before I enter any more data, I would value your advice on this.

I have run a virus scan on the file but nothing comes up. All of the other options appear to work aside from the recoding option. I asked the advice of a statistician but he had never come across it before.

When I open other files, the recoding option works.

I want to avoid re-entering all of the data into a new file if I can (because it took weeks). Without knowing the root cause, my fear is that it might recur anyway.

Any advice would be greatly received - thank you

David.
statman
Administrator

Re: Recoding issue

Postby statman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:18 pm

David, to help us help you please .............
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
danolado

Postby danolado » Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 pm

Apologies, the file issue relates both to SPSS version 23 using a PC, Windows 7
and
SPSS version 24 on a MacBook Pro (late 2011 model), OS X El Capitan

I'm not sure what data info you require specifically but within the file, I currently have 273 columns of data comprising scale, nominal and ordinal measures.

I know how to transform the data and recode into different variables, but the options I would expect to see in the 'Old and New Values' section are greyed out using this file.

If I open up a new file within the software (both types above using different computers) and type in dummy data, then try and transform into different variables as above, the process works.

There is something the software doesn't like in the file that I'm working with but I don't know what. Before I add to the dataset, I am trying to isolate what the issue might be and to work out if anyone has experience of this happening so I can go through the options. At the moment I don't know where to begin!

Thanks for your help

David
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:32 am

Did you get the software from the same place, sounds like a common installation error

Not much help since it isn't "statistical" but software
danolado

Postby danolado » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:36 pm

I checked with IT and it isn't an installation issue. This is software installed through a university and two different versions were tried.

Thanks for your help
Erikyo

Postby Erikyo » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:51 pm

Here's a quick answer that might help.

For example, if you want to use the range option, make sure you are working on a numeric variable. If you try to work with a string, the range option will be greyed out !

Hope this helps !