Issues with Corsstabulations and Z-tests

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

eswalwyn

Issues with Corsstabulations and Z-tests

Postby eswalwyn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:02 am

I have been running a number of Crosstabs in SPSS 21 doing Chi-square and Z-tests. It was all going well and making sense until I tried the latest set of cosstabs with predictor variables with large numbers of categories (the dependent variable still only has 2 categories).

When I ran the test I got an extremely large number of subscript letters in the output table which makes no sense. My predictor variables have no more than 15 categories, but SPSS is giving me tables with cells with huge numbers of subscript letters. For example, the latest output gave me the following for one cell:
14a, b, c, d, e, f, g, h, i, j, k, l, m, n, o, p, q, r, s, t, u, v, w, x, y, z, ba, bb, bc, bd, be, bf, bg, bh, bi, bj, bk, bl, bm, bn, bo, bp, bq, br, bs, bt, bu, bv, bw, bx, by, bz, ca, cb, cc, cd, ce, cf, cg, ch, ci, cj, ck, cl, cm, cn, co, cp, cq, cr, cs, ct, cu, cv, cw, cx, cy, cz, da, db

I have followed the instructions in the books and online for running these tests, so I am pretty sure I am running them correctly. I have also tried to find information on the outputs but cannot find anywhere that explains why I am getting such a huge number of subscript letters.

Any information/advice would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Emma
RubenGeert

Re: Issues with Corsstabulations and Z-tests

Postby RubenGeert » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:52 am

Hi Emma!

Perhaps one of your variables has decimals that are not displayed? In this case you may see one value occur several times in a frequency table. Also, see http://www.spss-tutorials.com/variable-type/ as it describes exactly this.

Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
www.spss-tutorials.com
eswalwyn

Postby eswalwyn » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:03 am

Dear Ruben,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately as my data is all categorical and all values are whole numbers (with no decimals), so I don't think that is the issue.

Unfortunately I still don't know why I'm getting the output I am.

Emma
RubenGeert

Postby RubenGeert » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:30 pm

Did you actually increase the number of decimals using FORMATS to confirm that? That is, did you see "1.0000" instead of just "1" in your data?

That you don't see any decimals does not imply they're not there.

Could you upload a sample of your data? I'd like to take a close look at what's really going on.