Beginner's question re. totals within groups

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

davidM

Beginner's question re. totals within groups

Postby davidM » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Hello, it's a while since I last worked with SPSS, so I'm sorry if my question is a bit noobish.

Anyway, in my data I'm looking at hashtag use on Instagram. I just have two categorical variables: one has two values for the type of hashtag used (so 1 = hashtag A, 2 = hashtag B). The other is also categorical with four values for (let's say) the type of content of the post (which I have categorised as 0, 1, 2 and 3).

Now, I can get SPSS to give me the totals for each types of content for hashtag A and hashtag B respectively.

So I get something like:

Hashtag A: number posts with content type 0 = 89, type 1 = 45, type 2 = 34, type 3 = 12
Hashtag B: number posts with content type 0 = 69, type 1 = 38, type 2 = 17, type 3 = 11

What I want to know though is whether there is a significant difference between the number of posts in each group for the two hashtags. How can I get SPSS to do that for each group?

Again, sorry if this is a silly question. Thanks for any help,

David
Pavel_SPSS

Re: Beginner's question re. totals within groups

Postby Pavel_SPSS » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:55 am

It seems you need Crosstabs function. Crosstabs can be used via Analyze menu or via syntax

You will get table hashtags/content or content/hashtags types with % of one value within another by column and by row. You can choose % needed via Crosstabls menu.
davidM

Re: Beginner's question re. totals within groups

Postby davidM » Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:54 am

Ok, thanks ,I'll try that. :)