Chi square interpretation

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Chi square interpretation

Postby chelrose2439 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:41 am

Hi there,

I'm running a 2x2 chi-square for independence test (explained in more detail below) to check that my manipulation check worked in my study. I've found significant results in that the two groups are significantly different from each other...I can't find anywhere how to interpret this, does this mean that my manipulation check hasn't worked?

Where my 2x2 comes from: My study uses two vignettes (randomly assigned to participants - between groups) that determine which conditions the participants end up in (first categorical variable with 2 levels). The scenario is either about a working dad, or a stay at home dad. So, the manipulation check asks whether they read a vignette about a working dad or a stay at home dad (second categorical variable with 2 levels).

If any one can help me, thankyou!!

Re: Chi square interpretation

Postby statman » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:27 pm

See the Note below

Also check the Case Studies and/or Tutorials under Help
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statistical Services

Re: Chi square interpretation

Postby tokai » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:57 am

A significant chi-square statistic simply indicates that there is a relationship between your two categorical variables. In other words, if I am understanding correctly, there would be a higher proportion in one manipulation group than the other across the levels of your second variable. However, I would need more specifics on your study to give a more useful answer.