Troubles opening .SAV-File trough ODBC

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Troubles opening .SAV-File trough ODBC

Postby eleven86 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:58 am

Hi all,

In our company we use SPSS client (no server) v 19 to analyse customer satisfaction. Now the business department would like to build nice reports based on this data. As part of the BI team, I've been given the task to find a solution how we can integrate data from SAV-Files into our existing BI landscape. I installed IBM Statistics Driver Standalone version which is part of the SPSS Statistics Data File driver and provides a driver for accessing SAV-Files trough ODBC, which is exactly what I am looking for. However, it's just not working. I am able to create an ODBC connection using the mentioned driver, but as soon as I try to connect to the SAV-File trough the ODBC connection using pretty much any tool that supports ODBC, the connection fails with the following error: "OpenAccess SDK SQL engine is unable to load the IP module. Verify that IP Module (PATH_TO_DLL) is installed correctly.".

I tried it on four different machines running 3 different OS (W2K3 32-Bit, W2K3-64Bit, W7-64Bit) but without success. I came accross the following note on the IBM-Website which adresses exactly this problem: ... wg21487072

However, the solution given in the note does not really help. Adding the path to the bin-directory to the System Path environment variable did not solve our problem and exporting the data to excel is not an option since it would involve a manual step.

Did anyone already try this driver suite to connect to SAV-Files using ODBC?
Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem?

regards and thanks!