Creating a Report for a Specific case within SPSS

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Jusitnlh

Creating a Report for a Specific case within SPSS

Postby Jusitnlh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:06 am

Hello,

My first time using these forums so please let me know if I am posting this on the wrong board.

I am tying to create some reports that resemble the following for each participant in the data set. Each participant listed 7 activities related to their job and rated their frequency and importance and I cannot get SPSS to produce a table that resembles the one below. The top stuff is doesn't need to be all there as long a I have one defining piece of information I can fill that stuff in later. I have tried using the rows, columns, and the case summaries functions all with no success. I would really like to avoid manually creating all of these reports. Has anyone had experience with this before? Is there some syntax i can use to create these? or is there another function I am missing?
Thank you

Department: XXXXX

Name: XXXXXX

Title : XXXXX

Activity Frequency rating Importance rating
Activity 1 # #
Activity 2 # #
Activity 3 # #
Last edited by Jusitnlh on Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pythonforspss.org

Re: Creating a Report for a Specific case within SPSS

Postby pythonforspss.org » Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:37 am

Dear Jusitnlh,

I'm not sure whether I'll have the time to write the syntax for you but it would really help everyone if you'd tell us more on the exact structure of your data (attach/link to sample of real data= ideal, screenshots also help).
Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
http://www.spss-tutorials.com
Jusitnlh

Postby Jusitnlh » Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:16 pm

Thanks Ruben,

I am assuming there is not a point and click function within SPSS that can do this since you refer to writing syntax. Do you know if any of statistical software can achieve this (e.g., SAS)? Or this any resources you might recommend where I can learn to do syntax that can achieve this?

The data is sorted so that each of the respondents is one row and each column represents a question that they answered. The activity, department and names variables are all string variables where as the frequency and importance variables are scale. I will try and post a sample of the data-set or a screenshot later this evening once I get the chance to take out any personal information. To give you an idea the data view would look something like what I have below if that helps paint a better picture. Also I am using SPSS v18.

Name Department Activity 1 Frequency Importance
Jon HR Phone calls 3 4

Looks like when I posted this it did not preserve the format. I will update later with screen shots.

Thanks,

Justin
Penguin_Knight

Postby Penguin_Knight » Wed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

Mail-merge function in MS Excel can do this. MS Access can also generate reports like the one you want. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294693. I would consider this the most efficient route.
Jusitnlh

Postby Jusitnlh » Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 am

Penguin_Knight,

That did the trick and very easy to use. Thanks for the suggestion.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Thanks,
Justin