Windows 7. Can't assign SPSS v22 as default program.

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

cradock

Windows 7. Can't assign SPSS v22 as default program.

Postby cradock » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:50 pm

I recently upgraded from SPSS v20 to v22 on Windows 7 (32-bit). With v20, my sav, sps, & spo files all displayed the correct icons and they opened SPSS v20 when double-clicked. After installing v22 (without uninstalling v20 first), they still defaulted to v20.

I tried using the "Open With>Choose default program" contextual menu to assign them to v22, but neither v20 nor v22 showed up in the assignable list. I could browse to their program files within the dialog, but selecting them would not persist when I got back to the main dialog.

I also tried using "Start>Default Programs", and had the same problem, both with "set your default" and "associate a file type".

I uninstalled v20, and that left the files with no default association at all.

I uninstalled v22, then re-installed it. Still no luck with Open With or Default Programs for the sav/sps/spo extensions. However, "Default Programs>Associate a file type" does show v22 as the default for sbs/spd/spsx/wwd/zsav files, so something succeeded for those at least. I don't know whether those had a v22 association when v20 was still installed, though.

Our IT folks are looking into it, but haven't found any solution in the Windows sphere yet. I though I'd try this SPSS community to see whether anyone's dealt with this before. I'd be glad to get any advice or experience you might have. Thanks.
GerineL

Re: Windows 7. Can't assign SPSS v22 as default program.

Postby GerineL » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am

I never encountered this problem, maybe you should contact the IBM helpdesk?
Aaronwag

Windows 7 Cant assign SPSS v22 as default program

Postby Aaronwag » Tue Sep 12, 2017 10:04 am

for some reason, i cant change my user title from Member to something i want. i cant find the box for it. could this possibly be a bug?