SPSS v24 database corruption when adding new variables

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

amikacin24

SPSS v24 database corruption when adding new variables

Postby amikacin24 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 2:46 am

Hi,
My team and I are beginners with SPSS.

We created a database with 237 patients & > 400 variables. We noticed that from time to time, when we added data, the database would corrupt i.e entire rows would disappear and numbers would be replaced by other numbers that made no sense or replaced by ''?'' inside a black lozenge symbol.

At first, we simply opened a prior version of the database and restarted adding data from there. However, now that we are beginning our statistics, we are unable to add new variables without getting this error. Duplicating the master version and restarting our work from there does not solve the problem.

Does anyone have any advice for us? We'd try anything before having to recreate our database from scratch...

Thanks,
statman
Administrator

Re: SPSS v24 database corruption when adding new variables

Postby statman » Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:20 pm

The ' ''?'' inside a black lozenge symbol' suggest a load time error, i.e., can't load and times out but since never seen this only a theory

Do you have all the fix packs installed

Server or client version, so ...........
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
amikacin24

Re: SPSS v24 database corruption when adding new variables

Postby amikacin24 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:03 pm

We used v24 of SPSS. We downloaded the patches v1 & v2. We also uninstalled and reinstalled v25 instead. Nothing fixed this issue.

However, we simply copy& pasted our variables & data in a new SPSS file and it seemed to have fixed the issue (so far).