Values change after sorting variable & switching views

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Amplexis

Values change after sorting variable & switching views

Postby Amplexis » Fri May 02, 2014 1:48 pm

I'm at a bit of a loss with this one. When I sort a variable by descending order I get the largest value in that column on top (in this case 156). If I then switch to variable view, and back to data view that value is now a 3. Sometimes it's a zero. If I resort by descending order, the original second largest value (155) is now the largest. If I switch to variable view and back to data view, that value is now a 3.

I've run frequencies to confirm that the values do actually change when I switch views, the number of cases does not change. I've tried opening the file on 3 separate computers, the error is present regardless of the computer I'm using. I've tried exporting the file into excel and then importing it back into a fresh spss file, and the issue persists.

The file itself is not very large (44 Variables, 379 Cases), but it is the result of a file that at times had 10k - 20k variables and required running multiple tens of thousands of lines of syntax. I thought perhaps that may have something to do with my issue.

Any help you can offer into this issue would be very much appreciated.
statman
Administrator

Re: Values change after sorting variable & switching views

Postby statman » Fri May 02, 2014 8:12 pm

?
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services