Custom Tables - Categories and Totals menu greyed out

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

anti-pancake

Custom Tables - Categories and Totals menu greyed out

Postby anti-pancake » Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi all,

I am new to SPSS, and to the Custom Tables feature. I'm running SPSS 23.0.0.0 on Mac, and imported my dataset from an Excel sheet.

I've populated a custom table canvas with binary categorical variables. In the columns are six separate binary categorical variables indicating wether or not a panelist falls into the group (1 = in the group, 0 = not in the group, a panelist can be in multiple groups) and in the rows are the responses to 10 yes/no questions. I am using the the N% of column to create a table that indicates the % of 'yes' and 'no' responses to each of the 10 questions, for each of the 6 groups. Because I am not particularly interested in reporting the results of the '0' category for each of the 6 groups, I would like to exclude those from the tables, if possible.

In my reading, I've seen that the 'Categories and Totals' window might be the place to look. The problem is, when I open that dialogue, it is almost entirely greyed out. I cannot select values from the 'Values' list and thus cannot send them to the 'Exclude' box. Also, in the 'Show' section to the right, I can select 'Total' but cannot toggle the other options ('Missing Values', 'Empty Categories' ,'Other values found when data are scanned').

Am I looking in the wrong spot for this action? Is it possible somehow? Appreciate the help, and let me know if I can provide any additional detail.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.