error: the spss processor is terminating due to a catastroph

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

h

error: the spss processor is terminating due to a catastroph

Postby h » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:56 pm

Anybody who can help me with this error? It's not the input who is wrong, it works on a different computer.

the error is: the spss processor is terminating due to a catastrophic error. Any working data file is lost.
The host system has detected an error related to an input or output operation. Restart the processor?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Appears like an install issue or compatability with this PC. Is the other PC & OS the same as this one?
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
lk

Postby lk » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:05 am

Hi,

The OS is the same (Windows XP), but the computers are different. The one it works on is a stationary, but the one with problems is a Laptop; Dell Lattitude D630. I've installed SPSS 15.0 on Dell Lattitude D620's without problems before. Is there any components (programs) that might cause problems for SPSS?

I've also tried to reinstall SPSS (removed it completly, and installed it again) without any luck.
andris
Site Admin

Postby andris » Fri Sep 28, 2007 9:31 am

When does this error occur?
lk

Postby lk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:29 am

Hi,

it occurs in the middle of the processing of a file. It says execute (or executing) in the status window, but after a while it just stops up, and then the errormessage pops up.
andris
Site Admin

Postby andris » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:51 am

What do you mean with "processing a file"? Opening the file? Does it happen with every file? Does it also occur when creating a new file?
lk

Postby lk » Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:17 am

andris wrote:What do you mean with "processing a file"? Opening the file? Does it happen with every file? Does it also occur when creating a new file?
It does only happen when a new file is created, or more correct, in the process of making the new file.
andris
Site Admin

Postby andris » Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:05 am

So it happens after you press File -> New -> Data? :?
That's very strange. If nobody else has a suggestion, I would say this has to do with a corrupt installation. Have you tried reinstalling SPSS?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:02 pm

Agree with andris but you might also initially make sure you have an update install - current patches installed. This might correct the situation, if not then reinstall.

Finally, check out SPSS site to see if there is anything in the Knowledge Base.

Sorry we can't offer more
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
lk

Postby lk » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:29 am

Ok, thanks for the help. I've allready done a re-install and that didn't work, but I'll try and check the updates. Thanks for the input
bronzemoonx

Postby bronzemoonx » Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:16 am

thanks for information