Nominal Values being treated as scalar values...

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

1beb

Nominal Values being treated as scalar values...

Postby 1beb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Hi Forum,

I have a frustrating little problem. I'm trying to run tables on some survey data and it keeps popping up a warning saying that you can't cross non-scalar with scalar data. I have set everything to nominal (and it is nominal) yet somehow, SPSS is still recognizing it as scalar.

Any thoughts?
Fierce

Re: Nominal Values being treated as scalar values...

Postby Fierce » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:26 pm

What is the SPSS version and what kind of table are your trying to generate? Are you using Custom Tables?
I used nominal and scale variables for the same table and it worked just fine...
BR

NOTE: "Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and some information about your data!" - by statman.

Disponível em português (mas prefira inglês para que outros também entendam a solução).
1beb

Postby 1beb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:00 pm

Fierce wrote:What is the SPSS version and what kind of table are your trying to generate? Are you using Custom Tables?
I used nominal and scale variables for the same table and it worked just fine...
SPSS 16, yes, custom tables.

I'm trying to create a banner with two nominal variables and a variable that houses an agreement scale on the row also denoted as a nominal variable (1-5, 6 = not applicable)

Actually, I just saved, closed and re-opened SPSS, and the whole file is FUBAR'd. All the recodes and variable names and definitions are buggered. I guess this is just a glitch.
Fierce

Postby Fierce » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:16 pm

Oh, I can see it now. You really cant use a scale variable for grouping in custom tables if others a nominal. SPSS can't use scale variable to group other variables.
It should work if all variables are nominal. You can also change variable types just for the table (right click variable names if your using menus of look for the /TABLE V1 > V2 [C] BY V3 line and add a [c] (like in the V2 here) to make variables nominal.
Anyway, make sure you aplly all patches to version 16 if anything got buggered.
BR

NOTE: "Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and some information about your data!" - by statman.

Disponível em português (mas prefira inglês para que outros também entendam a solução).
1beb

Postby 1beb » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:46 pm

Fierce wrote:Oh, I can see it now. You really cant use a scale variable for grouping in custom tables if others a nominal. SPSS can't use scale variable to group other variables.
It should work if all variables are nominal. You can also change variable types just for the table (right click variable names if your using menus of look for the /TABLE V1 > V2 [C] BY V3 line and add a [c] (like in the V2 here) to make variables nominal.
Anyway, make sure you aplly all patches to version 16 if anything got buggered.
Thanks Fierce,

All variables are displayed in the editor as nominal, so no opportunity to change them. Can't update this because it's shared application from my Uni.