spss 16 syntax problem

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

mortinho

spss 16 syntax problem

Postby mortinho » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:30 pm

i have a serious problem with my spss 16 (studentversion incl. patch) on my intel macbook pro.

the .sav file doesn't react to the easiest commands of the syntax. for example compute

a5d=a5b.
exe.

only if i use the menu-bar it works (but still not if i do it by the menu bar, pasted it and then try to run it. only if i run it for example by transform-> compute variable-> ok). but there are no error messages in the output, if i do it by syntax. it just does nothing:

**********************************************************************************************
* Wahlentscheid: Die Werte von a5b durch die Werte von a5a ersetzen, falls diese in a5a nicht vorkommen **
**********************************************************************************************
compute a5d=a5b.
exe.

if i used the menue-bar, from then on i can use the syntax for similar variables.

it is so enoying vof me, because i "wrote" a huge syntax file by using the menu bar and pasted it then. no i received an updated data-set and i really would appreciate if i could run the syntax instead of clicking a billions of times again thru various menus...

is that a known issue? help is really apreciated!
Fierce

Re: spss 16 syntax problem

Postby Fierce » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:47 pm

Never seen such error.
You said the ".sav file doesn't react"... Have you tried other .sav files? And what about other syntax files? Maybe it is a problem with only the files.
I suggest you contact SPSS if nothing works.
BR

NOTE: "Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and some information about your data!" - by statman.

Disponível em português (mas prefira inglês para que outros também entendam a solução).
mortinho

Re: spss 16 syntax problem

Postby mortinho » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:12 pm

ah yeah. other files work. it happens (or better said nothing happens...) only with this .sav file. the problem ist, that the file was created by an online survey and it has around 29'000 cases, by around 150 variables... so no chance for copy-paste something. it is really strange that it just doesn't react (no error messages, just nothing) if i do it by syntax and that it works if i do it by menu... seems that i really have to contact the support...

thank you all the same, fierce!