Inappropriate sets...

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Guillaume

Inappropriate sets...

Postby Guillaume » Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:57 pm

Hi, i'm a french guy how shaerching help for Spss 14.
When I try to make any analysis SPSS tell me always the same response:
"All variables in the working file or in the sets in use are inappropriate for this dialog box."
Before i've used SPSS 10 with the same matrice and i have no problem...
Could someone help me?

Thank you
Guillaume Lefranc
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:07 pm

Just sounds to me like your variable definitions are set "wrong," else need some more info (Please see the posting guidelines and note the need for variable definitions)[/b]
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
cristinaaa

Postby cristinaaa » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:47 am

Hi,

I am getting the same error message as Guillaume and I am also using SPSS 14.0.

I have read your answer but I am afraid I don't understand what you mean by your variable definitions are set 'wrong'. I am very new to all this SPSS and stats stuff as I need to use it for my thesis. I have entered all my data by following instructions in a text book (Alan Bryman - Social Research Methods second edition) but I get this error. Doesn't mention it in the textbook!

Any help very much appreciated. Let me know if you need any other info.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:41 pm

Before I get into definition, make sure to download and update your V14 with all patches.

Definitions: A variable might be defined as Scale when the model used is expecting Nominal - See Measure column in the variable view mode. Not sure this is the issue but check and let us know.

We need to know how your variables are defined and their definitions: Likert scale, for example, Yes/No, Age groups, ... etc
cristinaaa

Postby cristinaaa » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:28 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply! I don't know if my version of spss is fully patched as it is on the university computer system and so I have no control over it. (I asked the IT guy at the desk but he didnt know).

My data comes from a questionnaire with various kinds of questions so I have some Likert scale, some yes/no, some multiple choice type.

Again, following the info in the text book I have changed the measure column as follows:

for likert scale data i have Nominal
for yes/no I have Nominal
for age categories I have Ordinal
for multiple choice I have Nominal

Orignially I had it all set at scale as I didn't realise I needed to change this 'measure' column. Both before when it was all set to scale and now that I have changed it I still get the same error.

I hope this is the info you were asking for :)

Thanks again
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:52 pm

Likert is generally defined as Ordinal & age groups Nominal or Scale but this doesn't seem to me to make this kind or error.

Can you zip up the sav file and email to me? Also either the syntax used to run when you got the error or your output file.
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services