Tables not working in SPSS 16

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

Johns

Tables not working in SPSS 16

Postby Johns » Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:41 pm

I just started using version 16, and Tables take FOREVER, if ever, to process output. It can take hours, and then I can't get it to export to Excel. Even just trying to do a copy and paste never finishes. We thought it was perhaps because it wasn't a very powerful computer. I was waiting for my new souped up computer to arrive, and we installed 16 on that yesterday. Same thing happens. Tables just won't work. We can get the exact same dataset to do the exact same table in 15 on a different computer, but nothing in 16. There isn't a patch for 16, and we are totally baffled. SPSS was closed already yesterday (Friday) so it was too late to call and talk to tech support. This is very frustrating, and I have been spinning my wheels on this for two days.

Thanks!
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:25 pm

V16 has some Java performance issues that are being addressed in the upcoming patch so please be patient.

Tks,
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Johns

Patch

Postby Johns » Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:38 pm

Thanks for your response. I have wasted tons of time with this. I even checked to make sure that Java is installed. Do you know when the patch will be out? The SPSS site says November. I'm thinking about reinstalling 15 on my old computer and not even try to use 16 until the patch is out.
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sun Dec 02, 2007 9:33 pm

Java is auto installed. Here is a Resolution relating to CTables, it did made a difference for me, perhaps it will help you.

Code: Select all

Resolution 73997

Problem Summary:
Performance issues working with large tables in SPSS 16.0

Problem Description:
I am using SPSS 16.0. I produce output which can contain somewhat large tables.

In previous versions of SPSS, the job runs to completion quickly (~15 seconds or less). On the same system with SPSS 16.0.0, this job takes a long time or never completes. The application may go gray and unresponsive.

If the output generates, I have similar trouble editing, copying/pasting, exporting or printing the larger tables. For instance, it may take several seconds to copy the table or I am unable to print.

Is there any way I can improve this behavior?

Resolution Summary:
The following workaround may help in this situation.

Resolution Description:
If you are running out of memory performing any operations with large tables or if your jobs are taking a long time to run, we recommend temporarily adjusting the Maximum Java Heap Size for the client system.

On Linux and Windows, this heap can be adjusted upwards by creating a system environment variable, called ‘SPSSClientMaxHeapLevel’, on each SPSS client.
This variable can be set to values 1, 2, or 3 where 1 = 512MB 2 = 768MB and 3 = 1024. 1 is the default value. E.g.,

Variable: SPSSClientMaxHeapLevel
Value: 2

For Macintosh, the info.plist file needs to be edited. Info.plist, found in /Applications/SPSSInc/SPSS16/SPSS16.0.app/Contents/Info.plist is an XML file which contains the setting. If you wish to change the max heap value, you need to do the following:

1. In Terminal, type:
$ cd /Applications/SPSSInc/SPSS16/SPSS16.0.app/Contents
2. Create a copy of the Info.plist file for safekeeping:
$ cp Info.plist Info.plist.keep
3. Edit the Info.plist file. For instance, If you want to increase the max heap size to 768MB, you'd change: -Xmx512M to -Xmx768M $ vi Info.plist (search for "-Xmx512M", make the change in vi, then save
Info.plist)

Please note: The drawback of setting Maximum Java Heap Size too high is that it will take available memory away from the backend in single-seat mode, potentially limiting other procedures that can be run (if they require a lot of RAM) and possibly introducing video display problems.
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
Johns

Postby Johns » Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:25 pm

Cool! Thanks! I'll give that a try and see what happens. It looks like the suggested value is 2. Will this all be fixed in the patch?
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:05 pm

Johns wrote:It looks like the suggested value is 2. Will this all be fixed in the patch?
Sorry Johns, not sure what all will be addressed, I am also eagerly waiting.
Johns

Postby Johns » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:10 pm

Statman,

I tried 2 on my older, slower computer, and it didn't fix anything. Haven't had a chance to try it on my new superuser computer. I'm not optimistic.
jamison

Postby jamison » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:02 pm

Sorry to dredge up an extremly old post but I too am having this exact problem with SPSS 16 and Tables. Every couple of hours the machine running tables freezes up and grays out SPSS. The machine it's being run on is very ample for the job but still it causes the machine to crash.

Has anything been released to address this?