Error saving file - Why?

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

FloHarrison

Error saving file - Why?

Postby FloHarrison » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:14 pm

I'm using SPSS 18 with Windows 7.

I've opened an Excel (.xlsx) in SPSS and saved it as a .sav file with no problems. However, if I make any edits, and then attempt to save the file again, I get the following error:
Error # 1407 Error when writing the dictionary to a new data file.

Warning # 5322. Command name: SAVE The attempt to save the data file has failed because the disk is full, an I/O error has occurred, the variable dictionary is invalid, or the task was interrupted. IF SAVING OVER AN EXISTING FILE, THAT FILE HAS BEEN LOST.
I can close and reopen the program, make my edits and then save the file with no error, so I don't think it's an issue of file size, data validity or disk space. But, I can only edit and save once before getting the error again.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be the problem?
pythonforspss.org

Re: Error saving file - Why?

Postby pythonforspss.org » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:14 pm

Dear Flo,

Googling this error seems to suggest that the imported .xlsx file violates the SPSS dictionary rules (e.g. duplicate variable name). See here for example.

If you can't find the problem, please attach the xlsx file (just 2 or 3 lines of data should do) and all the syntax you used on it.
Kind regards,

Ruben Geert van den Berg
http://www.spss-tutorials.com
FloHarrison

Re: Error saving file - Why?

Postby FloHarrison » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:16 pm

Dear Ruben,

I don't have any duplicate variables names, and the file saves fine initially. Here is my output file from this session. For some reason this time It let me edit and save the file 5 times before producing the error...
>GET DATA /TYPE=XLSX
/FILE='\\home1\abc\c123\.PC.USER.files\NTProfile\documents\ABCDE\working 3\MY_analysis\Data\Sample_data.xlsx'
/SHEET=name 'GPS_route_variables'
/CELLRANGE=full
/READNAMES=on
/ASSUMEDSTRWIDTH=32767.
DATASET NAME DataSet1 WINDOW=FRONT.

SAVE OUTFILE='\\home1\abc\c123\.PC.USER.files\NTProfile\documents\ABCDE\working '+
'3\MY_analysis\Data\Sample_data.sav'
/COMPRESSED.
SAVE OUTFILE='\\home1\abc\c123\.PC.USER.files\NTProfile\documents\ABCDE\working '+
/COMPRESSED.
/COMPRESSED.
/COMPRESSED.
/COMPRESSED.

>Error. Command name: SAVE
>Error opening a PASW Statistics system file: >\home1\abc\c123\.PC.USER.files\NTProfile\documents\ABCDE\working 3\MY_analysis\Data\Sample_data_1.sav: >Permission denied (DATA1201)
>Execution of this command stops.

>Error # 1407
>Error when writing the dictionary to a new data file.

>Warning # 5322. Command name: SAVE
>The attempt to save the data file has failed because the disk is full, an I/O
>error has occurred, the variable dictionary is invalid, or the task was
>interrupted. IF SAVING OVER AN EXISTING FILE, THAT FILE HAS BEEN LOST.
I've tried to attach a sample of my data, but it doesn't like .xlsx, .xls or .csv files!

thanks,

Flo