confused mature undergrad student

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

strugglingoldstudent

confused mature undergrad student

Postby strugglingoldstudent » Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:58 pm

Hi I am a mature 3rd year psychology student who unfortunately really doesnt understand or no what im doing with SPPS/stats particiularly the output/ with the stats/result section part of my dissertation desperate for some advice/help.

I have collected data from a survey looking into attitudes towards those with mental health illness (heres the data
FINALINCLUDING REVERSESCOREcomplete183reponsesDISS (2).sav
)

Data
Firstly I have a baseline of attitudes
and
a set of questions used by the NHS annual attitudes towards mental health survey (2011)
then i repeated the set questions three times but replacing the term mental health illness with another term for example emotional disturbed

so what I want to do is I wish to identify whether there is any significance between the NHS questions and the replaced terms

I have completed a mixed factorial ANOVA with the baseline and all the questions and have found 2 main effects but no interactions but when i tried the mixed factorial ANOVA the NHS questions and the replaced terms I've become very confused by the results and plot graph do i have to do a median split to the nhs questions asking because this is what i did this to the baseline questions

Additionally my supervisor (who unfortunately doesn't understand spss) has asked me to do more stats but I'm really not sure what else I can do...I did a correlations (not sure if this is the right test to use)...but I do not understand the results I understand there is a significance but confused how to write this up or understand
Correlations
...........................................TotalNHSQ TotalMDQ TotalEDQ TotalMUS
TotalNHSQ Pearson Correlation .........1 ..........962** .904**.. .872**
Sig. (2-tailed)........................................... .000 .....000 .....000
N ...............................................183 ........183 .....183...... 183
TotalMDQ Pearson Correlation........ .962** ........1 ......916**.. .894**
Sig. (2-tailed) ..............................000 .....................000..... .000
N ...............................................183 ........183 .......183 ......183
TotalEDQ Pearson Correlation......... .904** .......916** ..1 ...........873**
Sig. (2-tailed) ...............................000 .........000 ....................000
N ...............................................183......... 183... ...183........ 183
TotalMUS Pearson Correlation......... .872** ......894**. .873** ......1
Sig. (2-tailed) ...............................000 .........000.... .000
N 183 183 183 183
**. Correlation is significant at the 0.01 level (2-tailed).

If anyone can help i would be extremely greatful

Many thanks
Paula
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
statman
Administrator

Re: confused mature undergrad student

Postby statman » Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:36 pm

IMHO you need to seek outside (a stat consult) advice. The review process for a dissertation is (or at least in most schools) a detail process so simply "jumping" into any form of statistical analysis might cause you more problems than good - a mixed factorial ANOVA. Definitely jumping in!

If you will not seek offline advice then start by reading the Note below and depending on SPSS version, see the Case Studies, Tutorials, Help system, ....

Good luck and sorry for being so candid
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statman
Statistical Services
strugglingoldstudent

Postby strugglingoldstudent » Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:37 pm

statman wrote:IMHO you need to seek outside (a stat consult) advice. The review process for a dissertation is (or at least in most schools) a detail process so simply "jumping" into any form of statistical analysis might cause you more problems than good - a mixed factorial ANOVA. Definitely jumping in!

If you will not seek offline advice then start by reading the Note below and depending on SPSS version, see the Case Studies, Tutorials, Help system, ....

Good luck and sorry for being so candid
hi thankyou for your reply...i'm using version 20...i have seeked help offline and this has resulted in further confusion on my account... although i no how to run these tests and find the correct parts i need to write up i find it difficult to determine what these actual mean...
thankyou anyway i'll struggle on
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

Contact me via my profile. Be sure to reference this forum, etc
strugglingoldstudent

Postby strugglingoldstudent » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:51 pm

statman wrote:Contact me via my profile. Be sure to reference this forum, etc
sorry how do i do i contact you i tried to send a message and I got a message saying i was allowed
Paula
statman
Administrator

Postby statman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:50 pm

Received your viewer file but also need the data file
strugglingoldstudent

Postby strugglingoldstudent » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:52 am

statman wrote:Received your viewer file but also need the data file
Hi I have forward the data to you
thankyou so much for taking the time to have a look