curve estimation

Moderators: statman, Analyst Techy, andris, Fierce, GerineL, Smash

curve estimation

Postby gonzo5 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:31 pm

My data set has repeated answers to the question: "How likely are you to purchase this product at each price?" for a dozen different increments. So a dozen different columns. I'd like to test their answers against a quadratic model. And I'd also like to report the slope between each adjacent interval. When I use the Curve Estimation option, it asks for an independent variable or will generate a time variable, but these options don't fit the structure of my data. What's the best way to set this up using regression?

Re: curve estimation

Postby statman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:18 pm

Need a bit more and also ............
See the note below

NOTE: Please read the Posting Guidelines and always tell us your OS, the SPSS version and information about your study and data!

Statistical Services

Re: curve estimation

Postby gonzo5 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:09 pm

SPSS version: 23

Additional study info: I want to know how well my participants' ratings fit a quadratic function. Each participant rated their likelihood of purchasing the same product at 12 different price points. The price points increase by a constant amount, starting from zero. I'd also like to know the rate of change (slope) between each adjacent interval.
Data info: Each row represents a different respondent. Each column represents a participant's response to a different price point in ascending order.

What I did so far: I think this can be addressed using regression, so I clicked on Analyze / Regression / Curve Estimation
If that's the correct test, then I see that it asks for independent variables, but I don't have a dummy coded independent variable because my data are repeated measures. I also didn't code time. So I'm not sure what kind of data structure this test expects.

Thank you.